Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Linux Group's & User's (Linux AS4)
Linux Group's & User's [message #360215] Thu, 20 November 2008 01:36 Go to next message
paradoxkhan
Hi,

Im new to linux i have very basic question regarding linux Groups.

1)why we create Groups in linux?
2)Purpose of assigning users to Group's?
3)what if we only create users and not assign it to any group?

Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks
Yasir
Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360226 is a reply to message #360215] Thu, 20 November 2008 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paradoxkhan

Please guide me in this regard....
waiting for your prompt update....

Thank's
Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360229 is a reply to message #360226] Thu, 20 November 2008 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This question bears no connection with Oracle.
Please find a more appropriate forum.
The topic is locked.

Regards
Michel
Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360230 is a reply to message #360226] Thu, 20 November 2008 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Please, note that this is Oracle Forum. Our policy is not to discuss problems which are not related to Oracle database.

As your question regards Linux operating system, perhaps you should search for answers elsewhere (i.e. on one of Linux forums).

Therefore, this topic is locked. If I was wrong and your question is, after all, related to Oracle, please, send me a private message or report this message to a moderator, explain why you think this discussion should go on and it will be unlocked.

[EDIT: also, next time I'd rather not do several things at the same time. It appears that I'm not a multitasking OraFAQ Forum member. Michel, obviously, did it much faster. However, all I've said is still valid.]

[Updated on: Thu, 20 November 2008 02:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360249 is a reply to message #360230] Thu, 20 November 2008 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Received via private messaging system:
paradoxkhan
Sorry if i posted it on wrong forum. Actually im installing Oracle EBS R12 on linux. i have read its installation manual in which it is mentioned to create groups and user's. But i didn't understand the logic of creating groups and then assigning users to those groups. I'll really appreciate if you can clarify it.

It appears that your problem IS related to Oracle, after all; in order to install Oracle EBS R12 on Linux operating system, prerequisites are - among others - to create groups and users. That's, at least, how I understand the problem now.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the answer to the question. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you.

The topic is now unlocked. Sorry for misunderstanding; although, this might be a lesson for the future: explain what you are doing in order to avoid confusion.
Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360261 is a reply to message #360215] Thu, 20 November 2008 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paradoxkhan
Hi Michel,

Kindly clearify it to me. wating for your kind reply.

Thank's
Yasir
Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360278 is a reply to message #360261] Thu, 20 November 2008 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Clarify what exactly?

That multi-user operating systems need to have users accounts and that those users are usually organized in groups?

Here is some clarification on the how , and here some general information on "User" in General.

Re: Linux Group's & User's [message #360289 is a reply to message #360215] Thu, 20 November 2008 05:29 Go to previous message
paradoxkhan
Hi Thomas,

Thank you soo much for providing such knowleadgable references.its really helpful Smile. By reading this i have clear my confusion....

Thanks,
Yasir
Previous Topic: How to uninstall Oracle Client on RedHat 4 EL
Next Topic: kernel parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:58:24 CDT 2024