Home » Server Options » Spatial » Basic Info
Basic Info [message #364156] Sat, 28 October 2000 02:33 Go to next message
Murtaza Mir
I am an Oracle developer (OCP). My company wants to store spatial data or develop a GIS (say) using Oracle. If my company already has Oracle 8, what else do we need to do, to get the Spatial Data Option? Or is Oracle Spatial a different/separate Oracle family member that we have to buy?
What additional training/self study do I require to develop applications for GIS? How long does it take? (on the average, under typical circumstances)
Some of what I know. [message #364157 is a reply to message #364156] Sat, 28 October 2000 12:33 Go to previous message
Vic
Well, that's a pretty broad question. Most GIS packages have RDBS support for Oracle. There are even a few Java implementations of GIS. So, there are a number of different ways to handle this.

From what I gather there are two different ways Oracle handles this.
1. Oracle8i with Spatial Option
2. SpatialWare for Oracle 7.3.x or 8.0.x

The first one is the newest one. And I believe that the Spatial Option is from Oracle. SpatialWare is from another vender and also has products for Informix, DB2, etc.

So, from deploying web applications to stand alone applications, there are a lot of different ways to access the data from Oracle to create GIS.

Vic
Previous Topic: ORA-29855
Next Topic: SDO_RELATE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:26:31 CDT 2024