Home » Other » General » Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? (Oracle Standard, Oracle Standard One)
Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #440774] Tue, 26 January 2010 23:48 Go to next message
mark_nieuwmans

In the Oracle Software Investment Guide I read:

"When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or
Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket."

Just to check if I understand this correctly:
- an IBM p550 server has 4 sockets, each containing a dual core POWER6 processor; since it has no more than 4 sockets, I can use Oracle Standard Edition; considering the SIG statement I should acquire 4 licenses (the server has 4 sockets), not 8 licenses (the server has 8 cores)
- an IBM p520 server has 2 sockets, each containing a dual core POWER6 procesor; since it has no more than 2 sockets, I can use Oracle Standard One Edition; considering the SIG statement I should acquire 2 licenes (the server has 2 sockets), not 4 licenses (the server has 4 cores)

Do I understand this correctly?

Also: how does subcapacity pricing work in such a case:
- assume the 8 core p550 server uses 3 cores Oracle (in a capped logical partion); should I then acquire a single Oracle license?
Re: Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #440796 is a reply to message #440774] Wed, 27 January 2010 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I think only Oracle can answer you for sure.
As in the end you have to talk with them to get your licenses maybe you should contact them now.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #440799 is a reply to message #440796] Wed, 27 January 2010 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mark_nieuwmans

@Michel: Agreed, only Oracle can answer that in the end...

However, in my experience, when you talk people that sell licenses, it helps if you understand the licensing model upfront. Also, I checked the Oracle licensing wiki, this aspect (licensing for Standard / Standard One per socket, not per core) was not mentioned there, if it is true I think it would be a good addition to the wiki.
Re: Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #440805 is a reply to message #440799] Wed, 27 January 2010 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Maybe the following page (or its links) will help you: Oracle_licensing

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #441312 is a reply to message #440805] Sat, 30 January 2010 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mark_nieuwmans

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately the wiki page does not mention that one should count sockets (not cores) fo standard / standard one edition...
Re: Oracle Licensing - Standard / Standard One, per processor not per core? [message #444437 is a reply to message #441312] Mon, 22 February 2010 00:39 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You may also like to follow the link at http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/398585/67467/?srch=socket+david#msg_398585

David
Previous Topic: Problem Backing Up Oracle
Next Topic: How to find OS User who did the Last compilation of Schema Objects..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:45:04 CDT 2024