Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure (Oracle 11g, 1.0, Windows)
How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540862] Thu, 26 January 2012 06:39 Go to next message
hammad83
I have a database for which I use RMAN for backup & recovery. The database is in archivelog mode. Online redo log files are multiplexed and I have more than one destinations for archive logs. If, due to a disk crash, all data files and redo log files are gone - and I have archive logs, one member of each redo log group and a full database backup available, I can recover till the last archived log. But I want to ask that what about the transactions which were not archived at the time of media failure? How can I recover committed transactions which were not archived at the time of crash, and I have a mirrored copy of log group which was current at the time of failure?

Appreciate an early response.

Hammad
Re: How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540864 is a reply to message #540862] Thu, 26 January 2012 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kamran Agayev

If you have redo log files, you can backup with UNTIL CANCEL option and provide the name of the redo log file and make Oracle to apply all committed data from the redo log files
Re: How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540866 is a reply to message #540862] Thu, 26 January 2012 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you have a backup and all archived logs and at least one member of redo logs then you can recover up to the last committed transactions.
No data lost.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540882 is a reply to message #540866] Thu, 26 January 2012 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hammad83
Thanks Guys,

Can you show me an example of how to do that using RMAN? After restoring the control files and data files, how to use saved copies of redo log files when applying archive logs in the recover stage?

Regards,
Hammad
Re: How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540889 is a reply to message #540882] Thu, 26 January 2012 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You use
restore database;
recover database;

Regards
Michel
Re: How to recover unarchived data in case of media failure [message #540994 is a reply to message #540866] Thu, 26 January 2012 23:36 Go to previous message
hammad83
Worked like a magic. So simple Smile

Just to explain, after restoring the database, I copied the multiplexed redo log members of all groups and placed them into the missing redo log files locations, and renamed them to their old names (got them from v$logfile after mounting the database). Then I recovered the database. All the committed data was recovered from redo log files.

Thanks for your help.

Hammad
Previous Topic: cannot connect catalog - RMAN
Next Topic: Having problem in changing the location of data files and temp files from autobackup of controlfile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:53:01 CDT 2024