Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » archive log (P6)
archive log [message #572175] Thu, 06 December 2012 18:41 Go to next message
baerdavid
Hi.

I had been trying to enable archivelog in my machine but to no avail. I was able to go as far as SQL> startup mount and would get "Database mounted". But when I key in "alter database archivelog" and pressed enter, there is a number 2 that comes out and the cursor just blinks. So, because I got the same result from yesterdays (24 hours waiting), I do an "enter" and it goes back to SQL>. I guess what I am trying to achieve is to change settings to "archivelog" so that I can backup my P6 database.

I am not good at this but willing to learn. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me on this.

Oh yes.. I forgot to mention that my P6 crashed last month and I lost 7 months of work. I did back-ups every week, but these were limited to exporting files, because the back-up database in my machine does not work.

Thanks!
Re: archive log [message #572176 is a reply to message #572175] Thu, 06 December 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
SQL> alter database archivelog;

command needs to be terminated by a semicolon; (or a slash "/" character).

Re: archive log [message #572177 is a reply to message #572176] Thu, 06 December 2012 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
baerdavid
It worked! Thanks! This reminded me that I need to learn a lot more.

Have a nice day BlackSwan!
Re: archive log [message #572186 is a reply to message #572177] Fri, 07 December 2012 01:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
To remind you how to post:

Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format.
Indent the code, use code tags and align the columns in result.
Use the "Preview Message" button to verify.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

Use SQL*Plus and copy and paste your session.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Dataguard Issue
Next Topic: No RMAN records in control file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:41:38 CDT 2024