Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Multiple instances on one box gives errors
Multiple instances on one box gives errors [message #52447] Mon, 22 July 2002 22:10 Go to next message
Stephen Marwick
Hi all,

this is probably a simple (common?) problem.

I'm trying to run two Oracle instances on the one Unix machine. My problem is that I can only run one of them at any one time. If I try to start one of them while the other is running Oracle returns the following:
ora-24323: Value not allowed
ora-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

This occurs at instance startup (ie startup nomount).

I'm using two separate initSID.ora files, and both work fine on their own. I'm starting each instance in a separate window with the same environment, except for the ORACLE_SID environment variable which is set to the appropriate database name.

The machine has about 1Gb RAM, plus 1.5Gb swap, so according to the installation manual I should have enough resources to run. (They're only small developmental databases.)

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't work out what.

Also, I do actually need two separate instances/databases, not just separate schemas.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Re: Multiple instances on one box gives errors [message #52448 is a reply to message #52447] Mon, 22 July 2002 22:38 Go to previous message
Stephen Marwick
Yep, I knew it was a simple problem.

I didn't have enough semaphores configured for both instances to be open.

It now works.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Previous Topic: which patchset is better?
Next Topic: shared memory realm already exists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 23:29:29 CDT 2024