Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Uses of duplicate...for standby command (10.2.0.4.0)
Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594969] Wed, 04 September 2013 09:07 Go to next message
candi
I wish to duplicate a database while keeping the original available for as long as possible and then switching over to the new database. Therefore I would like to restore the database then apply the logs until the switchover. For many reasons the duplicate command is simpler to run as there are different filesystems involved etc. However, I don't want duplicate to open my database.

Can I use the duplicate ..for standby command in this case even though I am not creating a standby?
Re: Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594970 is a reply to message #594969] Wed, 04 September 2013 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I wish to duplicate a database
>I don't want duplicate to open my database.

my head hurts trying to understand what you want & do not want.
Re: Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594971 is a reply to message #594969] Wed, 04 September 2013 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Just replace the "for standby" with "TO '{database name}'"
Check out the fine Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Reference.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 September 2013 10:31] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594973 is a reply to message #594970] Wed, 04 September 2013 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candi
??
I want to duplicate a database to another database. The duplicate database will then be production. Then the target will be shut down,
However, I want to do the bulk of the work when the target database is available to the users.
Therefore allowing me to do the full restore and then just applying the logs to the point in time agreed with the users.
Therefore I want to duplicate the database without opening the duplicated database until I have applied all the logs. Duplicate normally opens the database for you. I do not want this.
This can be done with restore/recover obviously but wondering is the standby option with duplicate another option. Thanks.
Re: Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594974 is a reply to message #594973] Wed, 04 September 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>This can be done with restore/recover obviously but wondering is the standby option with duplicate another option.
yes, it is another option.
Re: Uses of duplicate...for standby command [message #594978 is a reply to message #594973] Wed, 04 September 2013 10:06 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
candi wrote on Wed, 04 September 2013 14:31
??
I want to duplicate a database to another database. The duplicate database will then be production. Then the target will be shut down,

This is the plan from you. So, write down as more details as possible

Quote:

However, I want to do the bulk of the work when the target database is available to the users.

Bulk of the work? May you explain more?

Quote:

Therefore allowing me to do the full restore and then just applying the logs to the point in time agreed with the users.

Backup full with archivelog, restore to the target server, first time for testing, include object checking from DBA, application performance checking from another application, example Load Runner, Server's performance checking from another tool, example dim_STAT, finally, check from users.

Quote:

Therefore I want to duplicate the database without opening the duplicated database until I have applied all the logs. Duplicate normally opens the database for you. I do not want this.
This can be done with restore/recover obviously but wondering is the standby option with duplicate another option. Thanks.

No, you can restore the backup to target database with open mode, with mounted mode or nomount mode, depend to your decision.
You can create Physical Standby from backup full with archivelog, switch the Physcial standby to Read only mode, testing for application from users, checking the objects, but this Database can not update/delete/truncate/insert ... DML, DDL, only select statement. So, if you do not need DML, DDL on testing, you can create Physical Standby, do it and switchover Smile. Of course, re-configure application point to Physical Standby.

Now, remember, whenever take a chance with Database, you must plan it carefully, devide to at least 2 steps: Testing and Doing.

Testing include, for example: Backup and Restore to another system, switch application (or add instance from application), configure them point to the Test Database. Checking and testing as much as possible. You can use human engine such as your employee, your colleagues, your customers (if you can Smile ) or any applications, any tools to check and test it. Log anything you do!

Doing include step from testing, repeat until the last step carefully.

And: You can repeat testing many times, but doing only one!

Regards!

[Updated on: Wed, 04 September 2013 10:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: LRM-00101: unknown parameter name 'partition_options'
Next Topic: New Install, What Version?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:14:29 CDT 2024