Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Statistics what does it do?
Oracle Statistics what does it do? [message #53274] Tue, 10 September 2002 12:44 Go to next message
Lena
Hi there
I have a dummy question
We run almost everyday a script after we drop and recreate tables, indexes PK etc. This script updates statistics, can someone please tell me what exactly is doing to database the statists, its very slow, do I need to do it all the time? were does it write? etc
thanks for any help
Lena
Re: Oracle Statistics what does it do? [message #53275 is a reply to message #53274] Tue, 10 September 2002 13:39 Go to previous message
andrew again
If you are using the cost based optimizer, then you need to have stats on your tables and indexes. The stats guide oracle in sdetermining the best execution plan for SQL statements. If you have no stats then Oracle uses rule based optimizer (CBO came in with 7.x).

You only need to gather stats on tables/objects which have had "large" amounts of insert/update/delete (or truncate) since they were last analyzed. If you are using "compute" in the scripts, you could replace it "estimate" which uses a smaller sample of data to read through, so is faster but not 100% accurate. estimate is normally just fine.
Previous Topic: Can't start DB
Next Topic: Sizing indexes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:49:49 CDT 2024