Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Creating "empty" files to use as ASM disks on Windows (ASM 12.x, any Windows )
Creating "empty" files to use as ASM disks on Windows [message #604875] Sun, 05 January 2014 03:21 Go to next message
John Watson
This coud be viewed as off-topic, more of an OS question than an Oracle question. I hope the ASM connection makes it acceptable.
I need to create files on Windows machines to use as ASM discs. I do this all the time on Unix/Linux, for example I can create a 1GB file like this
dd if=/dev/zero of=/asmdisks/d1 bs=1024 count=1048576
Is there a Windows technique that can do the same thing? Simply create a file of a specified size for ASM to use? I don't think it actually has to be null filled, it could be filled with anything. A standard method: not something one has to buy, or download from some pirate site?
In case anyone is wondering what to do next, if the files are on an NFS share then point your asm_diskstring at them and you have a fully supported (and very easy to set up) ASM environment. Or you can set the appropriate _parameter and use them without setting up an NFS share and have a fully unsupported environment that is very nice for R&D.

Thankyou for any insight.
Re: Creating "empty" files to use as ASM disks on Windows [message #605489 is a reply to message #604875] Thu, 09 January 2014 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WayCal
John,

I'm new to ORACLE & ASM, but maybe this will help:

https://community.oracle.com/thread/537163?start=0&tstart=0

Wayne
Re: Creating "empty" files to use as ASM disks on Windows [message #605500 is a reply to message #605489] Fri, 10 January 2014 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thankyou for replying, but there is nothing on that link of any value.
For the time being, I am using dd from the Cygwin toolkit, but I would prefer a Windows utility.
Re: Creating "empty" files to use as ASM disks on Windows [message #605559 is a reply to message #605500] Fri, 10 January 2014 08:55 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
http://sourceforge.net/projects/windd/
Previous Topic: Having trouble with ODP.Net
Next Topic: DBCA is not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:01:30 CDT 2024