Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... (11gR2, Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit)
Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612090] Fri, 11 April 2014 17:28 Go to next message
txblackbird
Hello All.

I am attempting to install 11gR2 onto a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system. I have 18 GB of Ram and multiple hundreds of GB of free disk space on my hard drives.

I have tried multiple times using different configuration options to successfully install this release. None of them have been remotely successful.

I downloaded the files from oracle, unzipped them both in the same unique folder. When I run the setup I get the initial Universal setup window and it then goes to the GUI, 1 of 9 window.

At the "Configure Security Updates" window, if I put in my e-mail address I will get a proxy pop-up which I end up ignoring. So I typically don't enter an e-mail address here. I click next, then Yes to get to the Installation Option.

I have tried the "Create and configure..." option as well as the "Install database software only" option and the results are the same.

Clicking next takes me to the System Class prompt.
If I leave it set to "Desktop Class" and press next, the installation will die.

If I select "Server Class" and press next, I get to the Grid Installation option. I select "Single Instance" here and press next. I get the
install type options and leave the default "Typical Install" selected. I press next.

At that point the installation dies. I have never seen any window beyond those that I have described above.

I will attach the installActions log file for the "Server Class" installation option that I just did while typing this message. The ".err" and ".out" log files are empty

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612091 is a reply to message #612090] Fri, 11 April 2014 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Welcome to this forum.

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/ and please read http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/174502/102589/

Is your specific Oracle version supported on Windows 7?

Are you actually following the Installation Guide?

FWIW - You could just install VirtualBox & then load a VM which already has Oracle installed.
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612093 is a reply to message #612091] Fri, 11 April 2014 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
txblackbird
Thanks for the reply.

I have searched the forum and couldn't find a solution.

Yes, that version of oracle is supported on Win 7 Pro. I upgraded today because, initially, I was using Home Premium. So when I started having issues I looked more closely at the requirements. I don't see anything in the requirements that is wrong.

Also, the log file doesn't show any error messages or other indications that there is a problem, which is what is so confusing to me and why I am at a roadblock...
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612096 is a reply to message #612093] Fri, 11 April 2014 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
IIRC, not all V11 versions are supported on Windows 7.
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612098 is a reply to message #612096] Fri, 11 April 2014 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
txblackbird
That maybe true, I certainly don't know. But for this version it is. Here is the line from the system requirements for Windows OS:

Windows 7 x64 - Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions

This is what caused me to upgrade from Home Premium to Professional today...
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612099 is a reply to message #612098] Fri, 11 April 2014 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please slow down, step back, and actually read & understand what I am trying to convey to you.
There is a difference between necessary & sufficient.
Most folks know that no Home edition of any Windows version is certified by Oracle.
It is necessary that the Windows edition be Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to be part of a supported combination.
However that fact alone is NOT sufficient for compatibility & support.
IIRC, V11.2.0.1 & V11.2.0.2 are NOT certified with/on Windows 7; only V11.2.0.3 is certified on Windows 7.

I don't know if it is relevant or not, but I noticed the following excerpt from the posted log file.
>'UNIX_GROUP_NAME' not found in the bean store.
I can't explain why any Windows software would care about 'UNIX_GROUP_NAME'.
Are you sure that you are using the correct Oracle OS version?
Re: Installing 11gR2 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit dies... [message #612100 is a reply to message #612099] Fri, 11 April 2014 21:10 Go to previous message
txblackbird
Apologies if what I said seemed inappropriate or unappreciative. I certainly didn't mean to be conveying that.

I have downloaded from Oracle the win64_11gR2_database_Xof2.zip files. I also downloaded the 12c version. Since your last post I decided to try the 12c installation. That setup has been working just fine so far. The DB Configuration Assistant is currently at 30%.

So I am baffled even more now....
Previous Topic: Instlling Oracle on top of itself
Next Topic: About Installing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:26:49 CDT 2024