Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle folders to backup (Database 11G R 2,Window 7 Ultimate)
Oracle folders to backup [message #648395] Tue, 23 February 2016 00:47 Go to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Buddies

Please if someone can help.

I have installed an oracle database to a client .Now the issue is backup using Iperius backup.I know how to use Rman, but this client don't want/like the SQL stuff.MY question is which folder/Folders to backup using Iperius?

Thank you.
Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648398 is a reply to message #648395] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I think you should post your question in a Iperius forum where you will find people knowing it.
Here we can explain you how to backup with Oracle products like RMAN but there few chances there is someone knowing Iperius.

Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648400 is a reply to message #648398] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Michel

What I'm asking is which folders I should backup.
Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648401 is a reply to message #648400] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Oh, if you want to backup the database then backup all database files.
See v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$controlfile views.
Don't forget to put your database in backup mode when you backup the files, or stop the database. The former requires your database to be in ARCHIVELOG mode which should be the prime rule for, at least, all production databases.
In this case, also backup the archived logs, see v$archived_log view.

You can add the backup of password file and parameter file (most often in %ORACLE_HOME%\database or %ORACLE_HOME%\dbs).

Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648402 is a reply to message #648401] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
So Michel You mean I should backup the oradata folder and ?
Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648403 is a reply to message #648402] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You (and your client) can put your data files where you want, you should better query the views I pointed instead of relying on "oradata" name.

What "and ?" mean? I think I list all the files you have to backup.

Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648410 is a reply to message #648403] Tue, 23 February 2016 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Thank you.
Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648438 is a reply to message #648402] Tue, 23 February 2016 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
kilimanjaro wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 01:22
So Michel You mean I should backup the oradata folder and ?

Your questions suggest that you have an overly simplistic view of backing up a database. You said that you know how to use rman. But your line of questioning indicates you don't understand what rman is actually doing, and believe it is as simple as taking an OS backup of a directory. And since you are asking "what directory to backup" it strongly suggests you don't even know where oracle keeps what needs to be backed up, or understand how to find out.

I don't care if your client likes or dislikes rman. If they have an oracle database and value that database, they better learn to like it. It is the backup and recovery tool for rman databases. That's like saying "I want to be able to change a flat tire on my car, but I don't want to use the jack, lug wrench, and spare tire that the car's manufacturer placed in the trunk for that very purpose."

It would appear that they, too, have an overly simplistic view of database backup and recovery.

Are there any plans to actually prove the ability to recover from the backups with zero data loss?
Re: Oracle folders to backup [message #648444 is a reply to message #648410] Tue, 23 February 2016 07:38 Go to previous message
gazzag
I'm with Ed. Why doesn't your client "like" RMAN? If I was responsible for your backups I'd want to choose the right technology.
Previous Topic: RMAN-06053: unable to perform media recovery because of missing log
Next Topic: SQL qery to find rman backup size generated per week using rman catalog database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:13:07 CDT 2024