Home » Other » General » Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle (Hot in the press this morning)
Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #651906] Fri, 27 May 2016 05:13 Go to next message
Frank Naude
Oracle lost its $9 billion claim against Google for the use of Java on Android phones. The jury decided that Google is making fair use of the code and owed Oracle nothing. Google began incorporating Java into Android in 2007. At the time Java was owned by Sun Microsystems. Google argued that its implementation of Java APIs fall under US copyright laws for fair use, which permits limited use of copyrighted material without licensing for creative, educational, and other purposes.

Regards.
Frank
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #651912 is a reply to message #651906] Fri, 27 May 2016 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I was just reading about that.
I'm in love with Oracle technology - but not necessarily with Oracle Corporation. This case was pretty bad behaviour by Oracle. Of course, Google are not exactly saints either. When Sun first invented Java, I don't think there was any real attempt to make money out of it.
I first came across Java back in (I think) 1995. The idea was that it could be used for flying satellites. Space craft are built by different companies (Thales, Airbus, ...) who use their own computer chips and so on, but they all need to do the same thing: send instructions to little rocket motors in response to telemetry information. So the idea was to write flight control systems that could manage any satellite. I thought that was a sensible use for the Java VM environment: write once, run anywhere. But then Java started popping up (pun!) in business software. I've never understood why. Something about Java seems to make programmers write code that abuses the database in every possible way.
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #651919 is a reply to message #651912] Fri, 27 May 2016 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Agreed, John. I've always said that Java is the most successful computer virus ever Very Happy
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #651920 is a reply to message #651919] Fri, 27 May 2016 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Man, I hate it. Only the other day I found a ludicrous problem:
Every query was doing, in effect, SELECT * rather than projecting just the columns they needed. And every UPDATE would update every column - not just the ones that were changed. Why??? Because that's the way the code that maps the tables onto Java objects works. Never mind that it cripples the optimizer. So I had to jump through zillions of hoops that should never have been necessary in an attempt to make their crappy software run faster.
I think some Java programmers don't understand what a database is at all.
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #652007 is a reply to message #651920] Tue, 31 May 2016 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I think most Java programmers don't understand what a database is at all.
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #652087 is a reply to message #652007] Wed, 01 June 2016 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I think most programmers don't understand what a database is at all.
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #652091 is a reply to message #652087] Wed, 01 June 2016 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
probably
Re: Google Wins Java Copyright Case Against Oracle [message #652170 is a reply to message #652091] Fri, 03 June 2016 04:01 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Like John said, the main problem is the Object-Relational mapping of database tables into Java classes (mostly generated with tools like Oracle TopLink). This leads to the so-called 'O-R impedance mismatch'. For them a database is just a data store, and they don't care about the implementation, whether flat file or Oracle DB. In fact, one object can be a MySQL table and the next a SQL Server database. In this world referential integrity is enforced in code, which can lead to all sorts of performance and data related issues.

Personally I'm not sure that it's ALWAYS the Java developer's fault. They live in a world where everything is an object, and the implementation is hidden behind an interface (API). If they need an already developed class or component, they simply pull it in without having to think about what's hidden behind it.

Best regards.
Frank
Previous Topic: Algo for C programming
Next Topic: How to read data from SQLite database?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:42:29 CDT 2024