Home » Other » General » Oracle development copies on Azure? (Oracle 11g, Windows)
Oracle development copies on Azure? [message #656947] Mon, 24 October 2016 10:44 Go to next message
MikeMP
Hi all,

We currently have a setup which makes a standby copy of the production DB every week, and then from that standby copy there are 8 or so deduplicated children created using NetAPP technology I believe.

Is there any way to do something like this in Azure, whereby the standbyDB takes 100% disk space as the PROD_DB, and then the children copies only store delta information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including software that may exist to manage this process automatically.

thanks!
Mike
Re: Oracle development copies on Azure? [message #656951 is a reply to message #656947] Mon, 24 October 2016 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Welcome to this forum

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read

>deduplicated children
what exactly is above?
Re: Oracle development copies on Azure? [message #656952 is a reply to message #656947] Mon, 24 October 2016 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Sounds as though you need Direct NFS clones, here's a tutorial:

http://www.skillbuilders.com/webinars/webinar.cfm?id=91&w=oracle-clone-tutorial
Re: Oracle development copies on Azure? [message #656953 is a reply to message #656952] Mon, 24 October 2016 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MikeMP
Hi John, this looks exactly like what I need! will investigate and watch the tutorial... I'm guessing we setup NFS in Azure on Oracle Linux then?
Re: Oracle development copies on Azure? [message #656960 is a reply to message #656953] Mon, 24 October 2016 12:52 Go to previous message
John Watson
I am not familiar with Azure. But I do know a lot about Amazon Cloud and Oracle Cloud! I could set up something like for you there no problem. Remember that just because DNFS uses NFS, the "remote" file system doesn't have to be remote, it can be on the same machine.

Or there is another solution, that (now that I think about it) has to be the best: use ACFS. ACFS snapshots are a fully supported way of doing exactly what you describe, without any need for Sys Admin involvement. Do it all within the Grid Infrastructure environment.
Previous Topic: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER
Next Topic: Oracle online documentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:05:30 CDT 2024