Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Where is the session timeout value for the duration of running an sql query/procedure
Where is the session timeout value for the duration of running an sql query/procedure [message #686410] Wed, 07 September 2022 16:26 Go to next message
Bob Alston
I am using a web service developed by a government entity. Some of my requests which has

been confirmed to be valid requests seemed to be automatically canceled after 10 minutes. When using Soap Sonar personal 9 I receive a response back at 600.8 seconds. I get this response.

image.png
From research I understand this is most likely by a processing timeout setting for the query request. What I need help on is exactly where is this setting established - in the application program? In a database setting or procedure? Somewhere else?

So far the entity providing the web service has been unable to locate the setting.

one web source stated the following:

"This error may be due to an internal Sql*Net parameter which times out

the connection. This is called sqlnet.expired.time which logs out users after a set time. Contact your DBA to reset this parameter and retry."

www.ibm.com/support/pages/error-ora-01013-user-requested-cancel-current-operation

But if this is the setting in play I don't know how to tell the provider where to look for this.

Thank you.

Bob
Re: Where is the session timeout value for the duration of running an sql query/procedure [message #686411 is a reply to message #686410] Thu, 08 September 2022 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals (query v$version), as often solution depends on it.

Quote:
image.png

There are no images in your post.
The best way is to put the error message in text inside the post.

If the abort is generated by Oracle:
- If the query is running then the abort can't come from the sqlnet.expired_time which detects a network dead connection.
- It is most likely generated by the Oracle resource group your session is assigned; I don't remember the then returned error but I don't think it is ORA-01013.

But ORA-01013 can be generated by the client/web server as explained in the link you gave (Ctl-C, break interruption...).

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2022 00:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where is the session timeout value for the duration of running an sql query/procedure [message #686412 is a reply to message #686410] Thu, 08 September 2022 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
There are many places where this sort of issue can arise, before you get to the database. You probably need track right through the stack looking for timeouts and keepalives. Start with your load balancers, web listeners (Apache? Nginx?), and java servers (Tomcat?)
Certainly you should set SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME (note the exact spelling) in your database server's sqlnet.ora file (I usually set it to 1) but it is unlikely to fix the problem.

--update: typo, corrected 10 to 1 for the sqlnet.expire_time

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2022 00:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where is the session timeout value for the duration of running an sql query/procedure [message #686413 is a reply to message #686411] Thu, 08 September 2022 02:51 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

In addition, dead connection detection (DCD), i.e. sqlnet.expire_time, kills the session not the query.
So you won't get an ORA-01013 but an ORA-03114 (not connected to ORACLE) or the like.

Previous Topic: PIPE ROW
Next Topic: Running Balance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:50:35 CDT 2024