Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Range Partition --- Question regarding locking
icon5.gif  Range Partition --- Question regarding locking [message #171489] Wed, 10 May 2006 04:09 Go to next message
rkulasek
Hi

I am using range partition for a table. I will be submitting a scheduled job which will add partition at end of each month.
During this split partition, can I allow other processes to continue querying this table?
Or should I lock this table till my new partition is created?
Is there a provision to lock individual partition?

Basically I would like to ensure that no deadlock happens when my job is running and creating partition.

Thanks mch
Raja

Re: Range Partition --- Question regarding locking [message #171641 is a reply to message #171489] Wed, 10 May 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vjeedigunta

How many paritions are you trying to create ? If it is like 1, 2, ...6 etc., i dont think you need to worry at all ..also since you said the other session is only going to read the data there should not be any problem .unless that queries has "For Update" clauses in those .

-Sai Jeeigunta
icon5.gif  Re: Range Partition --- Question regarding locking [message #171668 is a reply to message #171489] Wed, 10 May 2006 23:39 Go to previous message
rkulasek
Thanks for the reply Sai.

I will have "n" partitions - one partition for each month.
When I create a new partition at the end of month, I want to ensure no deadlock happens.
In addition to queries, I will have inserts and updates also happening in parallel.
I expect this "create partition" to finish quickly. However, during this period, should I lock my partition ? I assume I can do something like ----> select * from mytable partition(mypartition) for update
Is this correct?

Thanks much
Raja
Previous Topic: Change to UTF8 character set
Next Topic: V$ tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:28:51 CDT 2024