Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN DUPLICATE error
RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176267] Wed, 07 June 2006 10:04 Go to next message
sinistral
Oracle 10gR2 (base)
Dataguard, no RAC
no ASM

Performing backups on the physical standby via RMAN. We need to restore our test database, and right now it is equivalent to the production. The DUPLICATE command seemed the best bet. We have controlfile and SPFile both on Auto-backup, and the RMAN on a six day retention with weekly 0 level backups and nightly level 1 cumulative backups.

However, when I run the DUPLICATE it chokes being unable to find a current controlfile nor one in backup, even though we have six days worth of supposedly good (validated) backups. We are not using a catalog, rather the DB controlfile.

The solution to this error is reopen the database and try again. however, the physical standby cannot be opened. It is the standby. Suggestions? What if we move the last backup to the primary database, "register" it there, and try this DUPLICATE?

I have seen nothing on this in my searches, and the Oracle documentation does not address this, though it recommends backup from the Physical Standby.

RMAN-05513 is the error code.

Thanks
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176272 is a reply to message #176267] Wed, 07 June 2006 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Not sure how exactly you are doing the process here.
This is what i understand
You are trying to create a physical standby using RMAN Duplicate command. Right?
After you have created the clone in the remote host, you need to refresh the clone/standby database with incremental backups from primary database. Detailed information here.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb008.htm#sthref1320

>> Suggestions? What if we move the last backup to the primary database, "register" it there, and try this DUPLICATE?
Yes.
Since i have too many databases to backup and to duplicate, i am using a recovery catalog.
I use seperate users to backup and to clone. Say rman user backup_prod will always backup the prod/primary database. rman user clone_prod_to_standby will always duplicate prod to standby.
Before i begin the duplication, i need to register clone_prod_to_standy to prod. Only then, the duplication can 'see' the backupsets. After duplication, clone_prod_to_standby will be 'seeing' only the standby database.
So again in next cycle, i would unregister from standby database and register it again to prod.
icon1.gif  Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176313 is a reply to message #176272] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinistral
Actually, no, I was/am trying to duplicate the standby database (physical) using RMAN, since that is where our backups are running. However, since the controlfile is not "CURRENT" I cannot do that. What I need to know now is
1) Will I ruin my physical standby if I alter it to "open read only" state? [ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY;]
and
2) If it does not ruin the standby DB, will the controlfile then be marked as "CURRENT"?

If both of those are a good to go, I will be able to run my RMAN DUPLICATE via the physical standby. The DUPLICATE will be used to create a second remote (WAN style) Disaster recovery standby, and also used to create a new "preproduction/test" environment.

Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176314 is a reply to message #176313] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator

Edit:
My mistake. Now i understand what you are upto.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 June 2006 18:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176318 is a reply to message #176314] Wed, 07 June 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinistral
Because I am backing up ON the standby, we are not using a catalog to register databases, and I would prefer not to kill my production database's I/O for 2 plus hours while I create a backup on my production database in order to run this DUPLICATE. I cannot do it from standby without OPENING the standby. The DUPLICATE needs the controlfile, the CURRENT controlfile, and the standby does not have a current.

Can I open a physical standby read only and without ruining it or not?

Will a read only DB have a CURRENT controlfile?

thanks
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #176321 is a reply to message #176318] Wed, 07 June 2006 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Hypothetically, yes. It should.
Because when you go for a read only opened standby database,
control file/datafiles are supposed to be in a consistent state.
Honestly i have'nt done anything any close to do this. So , i really do not have a first hand experience.
Regards
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #342561 is a reply to message #176267] Fri, 22 August 2008 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tpete
Hello, I am trying to do the same thing. Were you ever successful doing this?
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #342569 is a reply to message #342561] Fri, 22 August 2008 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinistral
What I ended up doing was creating a catalog. We run our backups from the physical standby database machine, then run a second backup of just the controlfile (via the same machine) of the open primary machine. That controlfile backup is on the primary box but is still in the catalog as belonging to the database (to the catalog they physcial standby and the primary BD are the same - same ID)

So, cron job does two backups (full/incremental of standby and then controlfile only of primary) and then copies (scp) the controlfile backup to the standby machine from the primary.

Without a catalog, I assume the same could work if you restore the controlfile backup of the primary in the backup machine.

a quickie PL/SQL example:
declare
adev varchar2(500);
aend boolean;
begin
adev := dbms_backup_restore.deviceallocate(NULL);
dbms_backup_restore.restoresetdatafile;
dbms_backup_restore.restorespfileto('outputdirectory/ctl.ctl');
dbms_backup_restore.restorebackuppiece('controlfilebackup_name',
DONE =>aend);
end;
/

Hope this helps someone.

Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #378262 is a reply to message #342569] Mon, 29 December 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
libra.dba@gmail.com
how does that work?

i have the backups from the standby. when using RMAN, i connect to the standby database as the target and to the auxiliary instance (not mounted) and issue a duplicate target, it asks for the current controlfile.

Do we have to create a catalog database or we can do it without a catalog also?
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #563438 is a reply to message #176267] Mon, 13 August 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davidshockey

I realize that this thread is rather old but I didn't see the solution that I used here.

I got this error during an RMAN DUPLICATE operation:

RMAN-05578: CONTROLFILE backup not found for database XX2 in /mybackupdir

The fix for this (in my case) was to add a trailing slash to the backup location clause of the duplicate command:

BACKUP LOCATION '/mybackupdir/'
Re: RMAN DUPLICATE error [message #565464 is a reply to message #563438] Tue, 04 September 2012 11:06 Go to previous message
adam.john008@gmail.com
Hello, I am trying to do the same thing. Were you ever successful doing this? how does that work? i have the backups from the standby.
Previous Topic: how to judge the backup set is available(using RMAN)?
Next Topic: error with RMAN utility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:51:18 CDT 2024