Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » files
files [message #181193] Fri, 07 July 2006 05:53 Go to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Hey all,
I am preparing for fund.1 exam and just read the following "Oracle database consists of database files , also known as operating system files". Are database files and os files are one?? Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
yasir hashmi
Re: files [message #181197 is a reply to message #181193] Fri, 07 July 2006 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
Hi Yasir,

From the docs...
Quote:

Databases, tablespaces, and datafiles are closely related, but they have important differences:

An Oracle database consists of one or more logical storage units called tablespaces, which collectively store all of the database's data.

Each tablespace in an Oracle database consists of one or more files called datafiles, which are physical structures that conform to the operating system in which Oracle is running.

And yes a database file is an OS file too.

For more info you can look here and here

[Updated on: Fri, 07 July 2006 06:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: files [message #181212 is a reply to message #181197] Fri, 07 July 2006 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Hi Tarun,
What is causing me concern is the defn that i have read

"Oracle database: An Oracle database consists of operating system files, also known as database files, that provide the actual physical storage for database information. The database files are used to ensure that the data is kept consistent and can be recovered in the event of a failure of the instance."

Oracle database consists of three files,datafiles,control files and redolog files. As OS files and database files are two different things, what is not going down my throat is the statement "operating system files, also known as database files".
Kindly clarify
Re: files [message #181213 is a reply to message #181212] Fri, 07 July 2006 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Where did you read it? Seems just a 'confusing' description.
The database files (datafiles/redolog files/controlfiles etc) are physical files located in the Operating Sytem ( you can see it in OS)
The database objects (tables etc) are not physical (you cannot see them in OS. They are inside the thos datafiles).
Database file or program file or an Image file or whatever it may be, in OS, they are just FILES (or rawpartitions , if that matters)
Re: files [message #181359 is a reply to message #181213] Sun, 09 July 2006 03:26 Go to previous message
tarundua

Yasir,

Hope it's clear to you now. Mahesh explained it well, right.
Previous Topic: Oracle DB 10g XE
Next Topic: ORA-01092: Oracle Instance Terminated. Disconnection Forced
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:46:50 CDT 2024