Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Should I add a fourth datafile or autoextend
Should I add a fourth datafile or autoextend [message #181736] Tue, 11 July 2006 05:43 Go to next message
aidi-h

Can anyone help me! I am will be running out of space in one of my tablespaces shortly. The question is, is there any criteria for deciding whether to add a fourth datafile to the tablespace or whether to autoextend the last, currently used datafile.

Disc space is not really an issue for me.

Are there potential performance issues or considerations to bear in mind, if I alter the last datafile so that autoextend is switched on and it grows and grows.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Should I add a fourth datafile or autoextend [message #181746 is a reply to message #181736] Tue, 11 July 2006 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You may not want to add autoextend on. Things may run out of control.
Just add the datafiles. There is no major issues relating to performance. You may want to consider the maxdatfiles setting and your backup options.
Re: Should I add a fourth datafile or autoextend [message #181856 is a reply to message #181736] Tue, 11 July 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
Its a good stadard to follow fixed size for datafiles,lets say 2GB each file and autoextend OFF .Also you can set a job to alert you when file reach threshold ,and keep on adding files.

as aidi-h said,you should have a proper maxdatafiles value .

Re: Should I add a fourth datafile or autoextend [message #182452 is a reply to message #181856] Sat, 15 July 2006 00:32 Go to previous message
satheeshb
Hi,
You can use autoextend with maxsize or even add a datafile. There won't be any different. Having too many datafile will have small impact during checkpoint. Too many is really toooo many. You don't have to worry much abt it.

Regards,
Satheesh Babu.S
Bangalore.
Previous Topic: how to know the character set of oracle server and client...?
Next Topic: OMF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:38:38 CDT 2024