Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Instance on Virtual Machine does not start
Oracle Instance on Virtual Machine does not start [message #182111] Thu, 13 July 2006 02:41 Go to next message
guschell
Hello,

recently I tried to install Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 on a Windows Server2003 OS which is hostet on a MS VirtualPC. Everything went fine and I was able to create a database instance i called "test" and connect to it using sqlplus. However after restarting the VirtualMachine the instance won't come up again though the Windows Service for this instance has started properly. In the oradim.log I got the following error:
Wed Jul 12 16:07:33 2006
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\oradim.exe -startup -sid test -usrpwd * -log oradim.log -nocheck 0
Wed Jul 12 16:07:33 2006
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

accompanied by following error in the sqlnet.log:
Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracletest)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CON NECT_DATA=(SID=test)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=W2K3)(USER=SYSTEM))))

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Time: 12-JUL-2006 16:07:33
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
ns main err code: 12560
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
ns secondary err code: 0
nt main err code: 530
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
nt secondary err code: 2
nt OS err code: 0

What seems strange to me is the fact, that I can start the instance afterwards manually by opening a dos-box and typing exacly (changing the usrpwd of course) the line from the oradim.log without getting any error at all:
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\oradim.exe -startup -sid test -usrpwd * -log oradim.log -nocheck 0

I would be glad to hear any suggestions or solutions to this problem.

best regards
Christian
Re: Oracle Instance on Virtual Machine does not start [message #182222 is a reply to message #182111] Thu, 13 July 2006 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
Did you start the listener? (In dos box: lsnrctl start or lsnrctl status or lsnrctl reload)
We had problems with our virtual machine server because when does it know to start the listener or database? The host machine started the virtual image but not the database or listener on that image. We had to start the virtual machine image then start the listener and database.
Neil.
Re: Oracle Instance on Virtual Machine does not start [message #182292 is a reply to message #182222] Fri, 14 July 2006 03:59 Go to previous message
guschell
Hello Neil,

thanks for your reply. Yes the listener was up and running at that time. As I wrote before, I was able to do the startup manually after the Reboot. Currently we are using this behaviour for a quite well working workaround: Windows sceduled task calls the oradim.exe after every reboot of the Virtual Machine. Maybe somtime in the future I will find out whar went wrong.

regards
Christian
Previous Topic: Database Not Automatically mounted
Next Topic: what is the maximum size of system tablespace?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:34:08 CDT 2024