Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » what is the maximum size of system tablespace?
what is the maximum size of system tablespace? [message #182295] Fri, 14 July 2006 04:19 Go to next message
gautamvv
I know that when creating a user, when I dont mention the
tablespace, the default tablespace is SYSTEM

i want to know the maximum number of records a tablespace

or system tablespace can handle, we have a table which has

some 1 crore records, and i am not able to select, or truncate

the table

so i want to know the maximum number of records the system

tablespace can accept

or the maximum space it can handle
Re: what is the maximum size of system tablespace? [message #182303 is a reply to message #182295] Fri, 14 July 2006 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Warning: this comes from memory! No guarantees Wink.

Theoretically, tablespaces are limited by the number of datafiles. I believe that is OS dependent. Then there's the limit of the datafile. And that is also OS dependent I believe. It may be also dependent on your DB_BLOCK_SIZE. You can verify this in the Oracle Reference. Look for the chapter about database limits.

MHE

[Updated on: Fri, 14 July 2006 04:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: what is the maximum size of system tablespace? [message #182337 is a reply to message #182295] Fri, 14 July 2006 07:10 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Already explained by Maaher.
Just to add,
>> I know that when creating a user, when I dont mention the tablespace, the default tablespace is SYSTEM.
Depends on version.
In later versions, you can have a default tablespace for the whole database.

>>so i want to know the maximum number of records the system
>>tablespace can accept
>>or the maximum space it can handle

Data is stored in tables ( logically).
Tables are stored in datafiles ( logically).
Datafiles are stored in disk (physically. You can see in OS).
One or more datafile makes a tablespace (tablespace is logical. You cannot see the tablespace in OS level).

So, the system tablespace can hold data as big as the tablespace ( or datafiles ) can allow.
Exact count of records cannot be determined like that (Some records may be big. Some are small).
Recent versions of oracle supports big tablespace ( Literally, terabytes of data).

Said above, the system tablespace is just a ordinary tablespace (Assume for now) that is used for special
purpose. So a sytem tablesapce can be any big and handling zillions of records (or terabytes of data).
But usually, it is not the case( because system tablespace is used for different purpose other than storing data. System tablespace is for oracle dictionary.).

>>we have a table which has some 1 crore records, and
>>i am not able to select, or truncate the table

That is a different issue. If you can post more information, someone might be in a position to help.

PS:
Please do not use Indian Numbering System. It will confuse everyone out of India/South Asia.

Previous Topic: Oracle Instance on Virtual Machine does not start
Next Topic: Characterset Migration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:26:33 CDT 2024