Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Various questions about an Oracle migration
Various questions about an Oracle migration [message #187080] Thu, 10 August 2006 16:22 Go to next message
leepr
Hi guys,

I'm going to be installing Oracle on a new machine this afternoon and will be migrating some data over. I have a few questions (mostly trivial) that I'd be grateful if you could answer for me.

Multiplexing the control files: When I set up the database, it will create 3 control files by default in $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/DBNAME/. To multiplex the control files, I gather that I have to do the following:
  • Shutdown the database.
  • Move the three control files to another location/disk e.g. /disk2/oradata/DBNAME.
  • Modify the CONTROL_FILES parameter listed in ORACLE_BASE/admin/DBNAME/pfile to include the three new locations. The actual file is called init.ora.1015200512437 - is this the correct file to change? If not, where should I be looking? I thought it was called just 'init.ora' - is this located somewhere else?
  • Startup the database.
  • Can someone just confirm if these expectations are correct.

Multiplexing redo logs: By default, I'll have 3 redo log groups all in $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/BUGS3. If I want to multiplex them on different disks, it's as simple as going into the web OEM, selecting each group, hitting 'Edit', hitting 'Add', and then providing a file name and directory. The directory will be on a different disk - does it matter if the filename for this log group member is the same as the other?

Setting up ARCHIVELOG mode: I'm setting up the database with ARCHIVELOG disabled because I was going to be importing a dump file with ~30M table rows. Once the import is done, I will enable ARCHIVELOG. The steps I'm anticipating are:
  • Shutdown the database.
  • Startup the database in mount mode.
  • Issue `alter system set log_archive_dest_1 = 'location=/disk7/archivelogs’ scope=both;`.
  • Issue `alter system set log_archive_dest_2 = 'location=/disk12/archivelogs’ scope=both;`.
  • Issue `alter database archivelog;` command.
  • Issue `alter database open;`.
  • Can someone just confirm if these expectations are correct.

Is there a size limit set on the archive logs or it only dependant on the amount free space on the disk? I.e. the disks have about 200G free - I don't want Oracle to crash if it exceeds some maximum e.g. 5GB of archive logs written. Should I be setting a size of the archivelogs?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts/comments.

A DBA In Training
Re: Various questions about an Oracle migration [message #187081 is a reply to message #187080] Thu, 10 August 2006 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
WRT archivelog mode
Before ALTER DATABASE OPEN
alter system archive log start;
Re: Various questions about an Oracle migration [message #187085 is a reply to message #187081] Thu, 10 August 2006 16:56 Go to previous message
leepr
Well spotted - thanks!
Previous Topic: Oracle DOS Versions 4, 5, and 6
Next Topic: where to find document for mrigrate from ora805 to ora9206
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:29:59 CDT 2024