Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #194361] Thu, 21 September 2006 12:04 Go to next message
lkehresman
Greetings,

I recently installed Oracle 10g (Standard Edition). Previously I had installed Enterprise Edition on the trial license, and got it working successfully with our web server, using PHP's oci_* functions. This morning, after I purchased Oracle 10g SE, I uninstalled Oracle using the OUI and re-installed with the standard edition.

I'm able to connect on the command line through sqlplus just fine, but when I try to make a connection using oci_connect() in PHP, it's throwing this error:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

PHP was compiled with Oracle Instant Client (v 10.2) support, and this same install was working against 10g Enterprise Edition yesterday. Just to be safe, I recompiled PHP in case it needed to include some different headers or something, but to no avail.

Running Apache2, PHP 5.1.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, with the 64 bit version of Oracle for Linux (I have 2 Opterons).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #194524 is a reply to message #194361] Fri, 22 September 2006 09:00 Go to previous message
lkehresman
FYI: I figured it out. I'm still not sure what caused this or why this is necessary, but I am now able to connect.

Previously I used this function call to connect:
oci_connect("username", "password", "orcl");

Now with the new installation, I have to use:
oci_connect("username", "password", "//localhost/orcl");

Hope that helps someone.
Luke
Previous Topic: How to schedule and run jobs (merged)
Next Topic: db_domain
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:40:34 CDT 2024