Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to create second database in single instance..
How to create second database in single instance.. [message #203997] Fri, 17 November 2006 04:47 Go to next message
sreehari
Hi all

I have oracle9i server in my system in Win2000 platform, I already have one database and now i want to create second database..

Can some one plsease tell me how to create second database in the same instance and how to access the database after creating it..

Thanks all
Re: How to create second database in single instance.. [message #204006 is a reply to message #203997] Fri, 17 November 2006 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
same way as you created the first.
Use DBCA or do it manually with scripts.
Use a different ORACLE_SID.
After the database is created, you can make it to use the same
listener as the DB1 or create a new listener.
you can access it by
sqlplus user/pass@tnsentery #tnsentry identified by tnsnames.ora
or
sqlplus usr/pass #will let your login to the ORACLE_SID set in your environemnt.
Re: How to create second database in single instance.. [message #204020 is a reply to message #204006] Fri, 17 November 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sreehari
Thanks Mahesh,

I have some doubts on Exp/Imp command, i would be very greatful to u if they can be addressed..

-I have a Full database dump
-Now i need to Import the database into the local machine.
-i have given the imp command as follows
c:\>imp system/manager file=fulldump.dmp log=full.log full=y

- In which schema, all the database objects are imported?
- I don't know the schema names in the fulldatabase dumpfile.
- when i gave the above command, i found that all the database objects are being imported in the system schema..!
- what r the steps i need to take berore importing fulldatabase dump..

Thanks

Re: How to create second database in single instance.. [message #204029 is a reply to message #204020] Fri, 17 November 2006 06:36 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
All your questions are already answered in the utilities manual
and in this forum already. Just search.
>> In which schema, all the database objects are imported?
If the same schemas exist in target as it was in source, the objects are imported there.
The best way to understand this is to use SHOW=y LOGFILE=somelogfile.
You will see all the actions performed in the same order.
With full=y , imp will try to do everything in the dmp file.
It will try to create the datafiles for the tablespaces in the same directory as it was before. If the path differs, it will fail and so will user creation and everything will error out.
Some objects exported from system/sys will be imported back and if it violates the integrity it will fail too.
>>- I don't know the schema names in the fulldatabase dumpfile.
use Show = y logfile=somelogfile . This somelogfile will have all the usernames and their encrypted passwords.
>>- what r the steps i need to take berore importing fulldatabase dump..
precreate the tablespaces and users.

Search the forum. THere are too many examples around for each possible scenario.
Previous Topic: Restricting Database by IP's
Next Topic: Gather Statistics - too much time taking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:34:18 CDT 2024