Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Documenting an existing data model
Documenting an existing data model [message #214160] Mon, 15 January 2007 03:51 Go to next message
orausern
Hello,

I have a task that there is an existing data model, for which I should prepare a document which describes the data model. I am wondering what could be the best format for such a document. this will serve as a reference for the new joinees so that they will quickly know the database schema..any clues on this? I am currently thinking of a word document having two sections for each table as per the attached document. In the attached document, repository_source is the name of the table. so this document basically describes what all of its columns mean and also what are its pk, fk etc..any suggestions to improve this?

Re: Documenting an existing data model [message #214193 is a reply to message #214160] Mon, 15 January 2007 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
'data model' in most cases is synonymously used along with ER model. I would rather first create an ER model and drill down to each entity and it attributes. There are many tools that can do this for you.
Re: Documenting an existing data model [message #214195 is a reply to message #214193] Mon, 15 January 2007 06:44 Go to previous message
orausern
Thanks Mahesh, yes that's true, but unfortunately in this case, I may get only 'E model' instead of 'ER Model' because inspite my warnings, the decision is that in this application(for which I asked the question) , they are not implementing foreign keys in the database! The Relational integrity is to be implemented via application only, so we can not really get a good ER diagram, as that diagram basically uses the info. of fks to build the relationships right..so I am just wondering how to come up with a document that encompasses as much info. as possible about the schema...
Previous Topic: problem with LSNRCTL
Next Topic: error in materialized view refresh path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:41:40 CDT 2024