Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Installing Database
Installing Database [message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 08:17 Go to next message
plshelp
Hi,

I have to install 9.2.0.1 on solaris 9. I need to know what directories I need to create before the installation. I have only made directory for Oraclehome/ora92/oracle/product/9.2.0. Do I have to make directory for oraInventory in ora92/oracle? also do I have to make directory for jre & oui in ora92/oracle prior to the installation?? I know this is a simple or lame question. I looked in all the installation guides and this is not said in any of them.. I installed the same version in the test server, and I didnt create directories for oraInventory,jre,oui prior to Installation and I dont see these folders after the installation. I dont know if i am missing something here. Please advise.
Thank you.
Re: Installing Database [message #226091 is a reply to message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
Do I have to make directory for oraInventory in ora92/oracle

No, you don't create this directory prior installation.

Are you getting any error during installation..
check installation log for more details.

regards
Taj
Re: Installing Database [message #226111 is a reply to message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
It did not get any error when I installed in the test server.
But I see in the other servers there are folders like oraInventory,jre,oui in the location /ora92/oracle, which I dont see in the test server where i installed 9.2.0.1. So I am confused if I have to create those directories prior to Installation. I am precautious since I have to install in the production server.
Re: Installing Database [message #226112 is a reply to message #226111] Thu, 22 March 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
you can check orainst.loc file for orainventory location.

/var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

Locating the Inventory on UNIX
At startup, the Oracle Universal Installer first looks for the following file: var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc

If this value is found, it will be used as the inventory location. If the value is not found, the inventory path is created as follows:

ORACLE_BASE\oraInventory

If the ORACLE_BASE environment variable is not defined, the inventory is created at the same level as the first Oracle home. For example, if your first Oracle home is at /private/ORACLEHome1, then, the inventory is at /private/oraInventory.

If the Oracle Universal Installer is unable to create an inventory directory at these locations, it prompts you with a locations dialog.

Clicking the Save As button pops up a File browse dialog to accept a file name. The inventory as seen in the inventory tree will be logged into this file as text.

"If the oraInventory is missing or does not match the installed software, then problems can occur when you attempt to add a new product, upgrade, migrate, or apply a patchset."
http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora9i/install9i.shtml

regards
Taj

[Updated on: Thu, 22 March 2007 10:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing Database [message #226116 is a reply to message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Thanks very much Taj, I got it now.
Re: Installing Database [message #226189 is a reply to message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Hi Taj,

I just installed 9.2.0.1 on solaris in production. I did export ORACLE_BASE as /ora92/oracle prior to the installation.
I did not create directory for oraInventory.
But still the files under oraInventory has been placed in the old oracle base... I dont know if this will cause any problem in future. Please give me your suggestions..

Re: Installing Database [message #226190 is a reply to message #226087] Thu, 22 March 2007 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
While installing, it did not ask me to specify the orainventory location...
Re: Installing Database [message #226473 is a reply to message #226190] Fri, 23 March 2007 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
Are you check your default profile >>> bash_profile, .profile files.

May be during installation it will get ORACLE_BASE location from user default profile.

regards
Taj
Re: Installing Database [message #226858 is a reply to message #226087] Mon, 26 March 2007 15:26 Go to previous message
plshelp
I did not change the .profile..May be you are right..that could be the reason.Thanks.
Previous Topic: Transportable tablespace
Next Topic: Compare 2 Schema's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:47:52 CDT 2024