Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 9i & 10g on Windows
Oracle 9i & 10g on Windows [message #227154] Tue, 27 March 2007 07:58 Go to next message
PunchMonkey
Hi everyone,

My background is with Oracle 10g on Linux. I'm now looking to get an Oracle 9i and 10g install to coexist on a Windows server.

I was successful on installing each into their own ORACLE_HOME and had a single 10g listener accepting connections for each of my 9 & 10 databases I had created.

Then I rebooted.

Now the 10g listener and instance starts up fine, but 9i refuses. I tried setting my environment manually (ORACLE_HOME to the 9i install, ORACLE_SID appropriately, updating the path) and use SQLPLUS to start up the database, but I receive a ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error occurred.

Restarting the service through Windows Service Manager just throws a generic error that the service wouldn't start. The Event Log didn't yield anything useful either.

I had set up a separate directory to hold my net files using TNS_ADMIN, but I've also tried un-setting this and recreating these files using the Oracle 9 netca. Although... I'm not sure why the net files should have to get involved since I'm logging in locally.

Any help will be very welcome!
Re: Oracle 9i & 10g on Windows [message #227160 is a reply to message #227154] Tue, 27 March 2007 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
just throws a generic error that the service wouldn't start

You should stop your oracle service and start again.

I had set up a separate directory to hold my net files using TNS_ADMIN, but I've also tried un-setting this and recreating these files using the Oracle 9 netca. Although... I'm not sure why the net files should have to get involved since I'm logging in locally.

First you should set TNS_ADMIN for oracle 10g home not oracle9i.

then through netca ( oracle10g) create service for oracle 9i.

try and let us know

regards
Taj
Re: Oracle 9i & 10g on Windows [message #227174 is a reply to message #227160] Tue, 27 March 2007 08:18 Go to previous message
PunchMonkey
You should stop your oracle service and start again.

I wasn't very clear about this. Looking in service manager, my OracleServiceORA092SE is not running at all. When I right-click and say start, Windows throws a generic service could not start error.

I have tried stopping all running Oracle services and then starting up this service but the result is the same.

First you should set TNS_ADMIN for oracle 10g home not oracle9i.

I actually have my TNS_ADMIN variable pointing to a directory of it's own separate from either of these installs where I have my sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora, and listener.ora file.

In the troubleshooting process I tried unsetting this variable and setting all other variables to my 9i install and running netca, but this didn't work either.

I hadn't tried using the 10g netca, but I did just now and it offers no change.

Thanks,

-- Mike
Previous Topic: sheel script to trace Duplicate Files Script
Next Topic: problem in sending mails through oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:57:02 CDT 2024