Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Unable to boot OEL / RHEL 4 - problem with Grub
icon9.gif  Unable to boot OEL / RHEL 4 - problem with Grub [message #247632] Tue, 26 June 2007 10:57 Go to next message
krishnagautam
Hi

I am try to install OEL 4 on a external USB hard drive, but till now have not been able to successfully boot from it. Every time it boots, it displays "GRUB" on top left corner of the screen and does nothing more.

My system:
Dell Inspiron 6400 - Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
Internal HDD - 80 GB SATA - with Vista
External HDD - 250 GB SATA (seagate) - connected through USB. - target drive for OEL 4.

The OEL 4 Install:

I installed the Linux in 'expert' mode on the External HDD successfully with no error messages.

Disk config:

/boot - sdb1 - ext3 - 102 MB
/ - sdb2 - ext3 - 195000 MB
swap - sdb3- swap - 1984 MB
sdb4 - Extended
/xp - sdb5 - vfat

After installation i into linux rescue and create new initrd files with USB storage; here's how.

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sysimage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot
chroot /mnt/sysimage

mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd`uname -r'.img `uanme -r'

and edited the GRUB.conf file to point to new initrd file and changed root=LABEL=/ to root=/dev/sdb2

so that's the long and short of it. Any help would be most welcome.
Re: Unable to boot OEL / RHEL 4 - problem with Grub [message #257840 is a reply to message #247632] Thu, 09 August 2007 05:51 Go to previous message
farhantahir
give me ur grub.conf file..

actually nothing specific is required,,u just have to point to extrenal hard drive,in grub.conf.

let me see ur grub.conf,,,,than i will tell u that to do
Previous Topic: Delete files using shell scripts.
Next Topic: Add a ASM and DB instance to existing RAC database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:21:53 CDT 2024