Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Multiple DSN pointing to Multiple Oracle Instances
Multiple DSN pointing to Multiple Oracle Instances [message #257419] Wed, 08 August 2007 05:41 Go to next message
ndellar
Hi there,

Wasn't sure what category this Q fitted in so here goes:

(Excuse my terminologies, I'm predominantly a Windows person - maybe I shouldn't be admitting to that here!)

We have a web server which people log on to to view / amend data which is in a back-end Oracle 10 Database. The web server has a 3rd party application installed which installs and configures the web site (IIS6). As part of the Web server install, I have had to create a System DSN for "reports". Lets call it "reportsDSN"

The 3rd party originally told us that we could have multiple instance of this web server app running on the same box.

This would mean that users could go do https://url/live or /training /test to log in to the app. These different web sites would point to different Oracle database instances on the same DB server (e.g. live train and test)

The Windows/IIS bit is easy for me, so the way I thought we could get it all working for the back end would be to create 2 more system DSNs for "training" and "test" instances of the app and point the test/train web site bits to use these DSNs to connect to the right DBs

However the application provided has come back and said that the System DSN **HAS** to be called "reportsDSN". So I suppose what I am asking is:

Is there any way you can create Multiple system DSNs on the same machine (Windows 2003 Server Standard Ed) of the same name, but some how differentiate between them and point them at different Oracle Database instances? The other option would I suppose to be to ask them to re-write their app code, or can anyone see another workaround?

Any advice really appreciated

Thanks

NDELLAR
Re: Multiple DSN pointing to Multiple Oracle Instances [message #257838 is a reply to message #257419] Thu, 09 August 2007 05:41 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Hello,

There is no way that I know which would allow multiple ODBC System DSN having the same name. So if the DSN is called reportDNS, then that can only point to one database.

( A DSN is only needed when the app uses ODBC, by the way, so I assume the app doesn't support native connections to oracle without ODBC in between? )

What could be a possible workaround would be not to have 3 databases, but 3 Schemas in the same database.

IF the Username/Password that is passed from the application to the ODBC connection can be configured, then a live, training and test user(schema) could be created in one database.

Hope that helps

Thomas
Previous Topic: error ORA-00604 & ORA-12705
Next Topic: Question on 10G
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:56:36 CDT 2024