Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Data accessed from Undo Segment OR Buffer Cache
Data accessed from Undo Segment OR Buffer Cache [message #260499] Mon, 20 August 2007 02:57 Go to next message
naveenkumar001

Hi,

I have some doubts related to Undo Segment please help me.
I have created a table called Toy and If a user named Raj has increased the toy price from 30$ to 50$ but not commited then the old image wil be stored in undo segment.

Question:-
1) Whether all the users except Raj will be accessing toy price from undo segment directly or that undo segment data is brought to Bufer Cache from Server Process so that all users can access that data from Buffer Cache?

2) Is there any way to know whether data is being accessed from Undo Segment or Buffer Cache?

Regards,
Naveen
Re: Data accessed from Undo Segment OR Buffer Cache [message #260512 is a reply to message #260499] Mon, 20 August 2007 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Undo blocks are data blocks for Oracle.
There is no difference between accessing your data block or undo block.
So blocks go to buffer cache before reading them into user process.

Regards
Michel
Re: Data accessed from Undo Segment OR Buffer Cache [message #260553 is a reply to message #260512] Mon, 20 August 2007 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naveenkumar001

Hi Michel,

Thank you for your valuable answer it has helped me a lot.

When i was studying Tuning Buffer Cache i came across V$BUFFER_POOL_STATISTICS that view contained two fields,
1)DB_BLOCK_GETS :- Number of blocks that were present in the memory that were read from normal segment.
2)CONSISTENT_GETS :- Number of blocks that were present in the memory that were read from a rollback segment.

Now my doubts got cleared, that undo segments blocks come to Buffer Cache, that is useful for calculating hit ratio of buffer cache.

Regards,
Naveen
Re: Data accessed from Undo Segment OR Buffer Cache [message #260579 is a reply to message #260553] Mon, 20 August 2007 06:24 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
calculating hit ratio of buffer cache

Take care: buffer cache hit ratio is good for only one thing:
detecting there is a change in your workload.
Nothing more.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Private SQL Area and Shared SQL Area
Next Topic: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 21:34:39 CDT 2024